Crime Reduction & Exploitation Diversion (CRED)
CRED is a unique program that provides critical support for gang-involved youth as young as 12, or those at risk of gang involvement. Kids who do not have strong family relationships or friendships are most vulnerable to exploitation. It is so important to reach these youth before they become entrenched in circles of crime.
The counsellors at Pacific Centre Family Services are trained and keen to provide prevention services such as one-on-one counselling and life skills support, peer-to-peer interaction, family counselling, awareness building, and access to educational groups. CRED gives youth access to:
- One-on-one work with a program coordinator, with a view to building trust and relationships.
- Participation with other youth in pro-social groups.
- Building knowledge and understanding of relationship violence for victim and perpetrator.
- Support work with parents, including parent education.
- Suicide assessment, where risk was identified, and related referral to medical professional.
- Liaising with probation, MCFD and other external agencies; identifying where contact and interventions by other agencies would be advisable.
- Referrals and supporting youth to participate in other programs, such as detox, (as deemed relevant) and/or supporting school registration where required.
- Supporting youth by attending court with them, where relevant.
Access to the CRED program is through direct contact with the CRED Program Coordinator by police, probation, schools, MCFD Social Workers, community service providers, parents and caregivers, or the youth themselves.